Dermatologists are specially-trained experts who diagnose and treat a variety of skin, hair and nail diseases and conditions. Dermatologist rely on their training to identify specific skin conditions and recommend the best course of treatment for each patient.
If you have yet to visit a skin expert, here’s a refresher on what exactly a dermatologist is. In addition to skin treatments, a dermatologist can recommend cosmetic procedures which enhance or correct the process of aging, scars or other face and body issues.
When researching for your dermatologist, keep these 5 things in mind:
- Certifications: Board certified is an important label to look for in finding any expert. This tells you the specialist has completed the training and mastered the skills necessary in his or her field.
- Research the facilities as well: Whether in a clinic or hospital setting or private practice, the conditions of your dermatologist’s office are a reflection of the specialist. If the materials available for reading/research are dated, dirty or unprofessional in any way, that can be an indication of the level of current research available at this facility.
- Consider gender: This is more important than you might think. You need to be open, honest and able to communicate with your dermatologist. If you’d prefer to open up to someone of the same gender or are uncomfortable showing certain body parts to someone of the opposite gender, you should consider that aspect.
- Stress-free appointments and scheduling procedures: Excellent dermatologists don’t watch their clock when with patients. You want a specialist that evaluates your health concerns and makes use of your appointment time efficiently but thoroughly. If you have difficulty making an appointment and are rushed through the entire process, this might not be the dermatologist for you.
- A great Q&A session: You want a dermatologist you can talk to. Come prepared to discuss anything and everything that is of concern to your skin, hair and/or nails. During this initial consultation, you want your skin expert to answer and validate your questions and concerns. If you are considering a cosmetic procedure, here are some great questions to start with.
Skin conditions can be stressful and that can increase the severity of outbreaks, depending on the condition. You want a dermatologist that is helpful in regaining your confidence and self-esteem but is also highly skilled. Dermatologists have access to a wider variety of prescription medicines and treatments than your regular primary care physician.
If you are looking for the best dermatologist, contact the Trillium Creek skin experts. We’ll formulate a multi-faceted treatment plan specifically for you depending on the type, severity and symptoms underlying your condition.
About Trillium Creek Dermatology and Surgery Center: Few places in the country offer the quality care, innovation and state-of-the-art procedures that are available at Trillium Creek. Through our integrative medicine approach, Trillium offers world-class general dermatology, dermatologic surgery, laser surgery, cosmetic dermatology, skin cancer treatment, Mohs surgery and holistic medicine.