The technical definition of a dermatologist is: a medical practitioner qualified to diagnose and treat skin disorders. Your first thought may go straight to acne or cosmetic procedures, but dermatology is so much more than that! Did you know it also includes conditions related to your hair, nails and of course the largest organ of your body – your skin. As our body’s primary defense against injury and bacteria, our skin reflects the overall health of our body.
A dermatologist provides life-changing medical diagnoses and treatment options to restore health in both children and adults. Dermatologists are physicians with specialized training. They attended a four-year accredited medical school before completing a dermatology residency of 3 years.
Different than a general doctor, dermatologists have additional training in:
- Diagnosing and treating skin cancers
- Diagnosing, treating and managing contact dermatitis and other inflammatory skin disorders
- Correcting cosmetic disorders of the skin that can appear during the aging process, including hair loss, scares and wrinkles
- Diagnosing and treating skin issues that arise in children – one in six children will develop atopic eczema
- Skin cancer screenings (link post Should I get Skin Cancer Screening)
- Diagnosing and building treatment plans on more than 3,000 different diseases. These diseases include skin cancer, eczema, acne, psoriasis and many more skin conditions
In addition to seeing patients, dermatologists are also trained skin surgeons and conduct a variety of procedures, including:
- Biopsies to establish a definite diagnosis/treatment option
- Skin cancer removal to prevent the spread and eliminate the cancer cells
- The removal of cosmetic irritations, like growths, damaged skin from sunlight or the aging process or discolorations
At Trillium Creek Dermatology & Surgery Center, we incorporate an additional element to our practice: our Homeopathic Medicine Center. Homeopathic medicine can be utilized as either a complementary or an alternative approach to traditional ones. A 200-year-old system of medicine, with a history of safety and effectiveness, the principles of homeopathic practice and homeopathic remedies have been the same over this time.
Have more questions about dermatology? Still want to learn more about dermatologists? Come see us!
About Trillium Creek Dermatology and Surgery Center: Few places in the country offer the quality care, innovation and state-of-the-art procedures that are available at Trillium Creek. Through our integrative medicine approach, Trillium offers world-class general dermatology, dermatologic surgery, laser surgery, cosmetic dermatology, skin cancer treatment, Mohs surgery and holistic medicine.