Your plane is booked, hotel is reserved and swimsuits are packed; it’s summer vacation time! While it is definitely time to relax and soak up some fun, it’s very important to protect that precious skin.
Packing can be quite the overwhelming task, even if it’s just a weekend trip. While we can’t narrow down your wardrobe options, here are a few tips and travel essentials you should pack to keep your skin safe this summer:
- Keep to your skincare routine. If your products have a mini or travel-sized option, grab one. If not, there are carry-on-friendly plastic bottles you can use to take your products along with you.
- Stay hydrated. This is especially important if you are in a warmer climate than you are used to. Dehydration can be dangerous to your health and it can also strip moisture from your skin.
- Opt for a water-based, tinted moisturizer to help eliminate breakouts caused by warmer climates and bacteria in the pores that a heavier foundation can leave.
- Sunscreen: This should already be a part of your daily skincare routine, especially in the summer. Both UVA and UVB rays cause sunburns and damage the skin, which can lead to skin cancer. Look for a sunscreen that provides protection from both, called “broad-spectrum” and is water resistant. Apply, at a minimum, every 2 hours or directly after water exposure.
- Sunglasses: Pack a pair that has 100 percent UV and most HEV (high-energy visible radiation) protection. Extended exposure to the sun’s UVs has been linked to serious forms of eye damage.
- Broad-brimmed hat: Give your face an extra layer of protection and protect those locks with a hat.
- Water-based facial cleansing wipes: You now have no excuse to skip and not wash your face before bed. Be sure to cleanse both morning and night while on vacation. Even when ‘one with nature’ there are still plenty of germs, dirt and grime that can cause a breakout.
- Moisture-wicking socks: You may be headed to flip-flop heaven but if you plan on hiking, exercising or taking it off the beaten path, opt for breathable, moisture-wicking materials to keep your feet healthy.
Bon voyage and happy summer!
About Trillium Creek Dermatology and Surgery Center: Few places in the country offer the quality care, innovation and state-of-the-art procedures that are available at Trillium Creek. Through our integrative medicine approach, Trillium offers world-class general dermatology, dermatologic surgery, laser surgery, cosmetic dermatology, skin cancer treatment, Mohs surgery and holistic medicine.